Sunday, February 10, 2008

A Day Like Me

Since being here in Bali, I have always taken trips to Ubud with other people. A few of us on our scooters or myself and Kristen doubling on one. But, on Saturday, I went into Ubud by myself and just spent the time at my own pace, choosing my own adventures. On the ride there, since it was around 1pm, there were droves of schoolchildren walking home from school. It is a beautiful and precious thing to ride by groups of kids in their uniforms walking along a narrow road between rice paddies.

When I got to Ubud, the traffic was pretty congested (there's nothing like sitting behind a bus and directly breathing it's exhaust) but I finally made my way to Periplus, an english bookstore. One of the books I ended up buying is a series of short stories that all take place at the beach.

Later on, I met up with Dagmara and Juan Carlos and we rode to Dagmara's property. It has a lovely view across to a ridge. I think Juan Carlos has designed an amazing house for her. My favourite thing was the grove of young papaya trees. I'd never seen a papaya grove before and it is so interesting how the fruit grows out of the trunk, kind of zucchini/eggplant shaped. I unfortunately did not have my camera but will go back soon.

We also visited a while with the family - Pak Luki and his family - that gave Dagmara the property. We sat in their bale for a leisurely visit and were presented with coffee and ice tea, and many, many snacks.

The day ended with a trip to Kuta in which we got lost going there are on the way back. Long story, but kinda funny.

1 comment:

Bobbi said...

O adventures! Love reading about them, Ang. I booked my flight for the big 30: Apr 30 into Berlin and back from London May 19!! Here's to adventure. I'll drink some for us when I get back from my retreat (Vibrant is this weekend). Peace be with you.